GeorgiaMarriage & Family Law Home
What is Considered in an Alimony Case?
In the state of Georgia, alimony is based on a spouse’s duty to support the other after divorce when dependency has been established. ....... Click here to get more info on Alimony
How is Health Coverage Handled?If health insurance is available at a reasonable cost to the parent, then the court will order that the child be covered under the health insurance plan.
What Classifies for a Deviation of the Guidelines?Include written findings as to whether one or more of the deviations allowed under this Code section are applicable, and if one or more such deviations are applicable, as determined by the court or the jury, the proven written findings can further set forth:
- The reasons the court/jury deviated from the amount of child support
- The amount of child support that would have been required if the presumptive amount of child support h ....... Click here to get more info on Child Support
What Criteria is Considered in Determining the Child's Best Interests?The duty of the judge in all such cases shall be to exercise discretion to look to and determine solely what is for the best interest of the child and what will best promote the child's welfare and happiness and to make his or her award accordingly. In determining the best interests of the child, the judge may consider any relevant factor including, but not limited to:
- The love, affection, bonding, and emotional ties existing between each parent and the child
- The love, affection, bonding, and emotional ties existing between the child and his or her siblings, half siblings, and stepsiblings and the residence of such other children
- The capacity and disposition o ....... Click here to get more info on Custody
What are the Grounds for Divorce?
Georgia is a state that has both the fault and no fault divorce and once the spouses have met their six months residency requirement can file within their local county court district. No-fault divorces are those where the marriage is no longer workable and will issue a divorce after 30 days giving time for the other spouse to respond.
The fault option requires proof of one of the following state recognized reasons:
1) Intermarriage by persons within the prohibited degrees of consanguinity or affinity
2) Mental incapacity at the time of the marriage
3) Impotency at the time of the marriage
4) Force, menace, ....... Click here to get more info on Divorce
What Criteria Is Considered in Obtaining Visitation Rights?
In Georgia, a biological parent of a minor child may request visitation rights as part of an open divorce, parentage or custody case or may file a petition for visitation on its own. ....... Click here to get more info on Visitation